Sunday, February 27, 2011

To say that this has been a tough week is a complete understatement. Since last Sunday I have been at my best friend's side. Trying to be there for her and her kids in anyway I can. On Tuesday I was by her side when the drs. told her that her husband suffered such devastating strokes (from the anuersym) that he would require 24 hr. nursing home care and that's if he even survived at all. It was a moment I will never forget. My heart broke for her & the family. Of course she was numb. We decided to call a family meeting to break the news to the kids and family. Another heartbreaking moment. I had the task of telling everyone. I was sick to my stomach. I mean how do you tell a room full of loved ones this awful news. It was terrible.

On Wednesday I went back home to my family to deal with some things. I was back there the next morning where we spent 10 hrs. In the waiting room surrounded by her family awaiting the final Cat scan result. It was confirmed that Paul was declining further and was now left in a comatosed state. We finally all went home @ 10:30pm only to get a call from the hospital that he was likely not going to make it through the night. So we all (14 of us) trekked back to the hospital where we all said good bye to him. At 12:54, we all watched Paul take his last breath. It was so sad. He was such I great human being. I have never met a better family man in my life. He has touch me so much in the 12 yrs I have known him. He will be forever missed. My heart is so heavy for my friends loss and her kids being robbed of a dad. I am just happy I was able to be there for her the whole time. She is strong and I know they will get through this :(

Meanwhile at home, Avery had been struggling. On Monday, he woke up with a croupy cough which never ends well for him. Luckily I was able to call the critical care dr. who prescribed an antibiotic and steroids in hopes of keeping him home. There was no way I could be inpatient with what was going on with my friend. By Friday he stabilized, thankfully. But did you think I would get off that easy....Avery decided he had waited long enough to get mommies attention so here I sit in the ICU with him. He just got very congested this morning and I knew where that was heading. He was scheduled to be inpatient this friday for his EEG. Looks like we can get it done sooner. Not to mention the drs. In the ER thought he was having seizures. I think we caught things early and got a head start with the antibiotics. So hopefully it's a quick stay (one can only hope) especially after the week I have had. Plus I
have to go to Paul's services at the end of the week. :(

Overall this has been a very difficult month of losses. Another child with mito earned her wings last night. It's so sad to see this disease stealing so many kids. Well it better lay off mine kids. So please continue to pray for all those mito families and the Cashman family as well. I will keep you posted with Avery.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend Nicky. I can't imagine the pain you and your friend and her family are going through. :(

I also hope that you guys have a short stay and Avery gets better very soon!

Nicole

Nan said...

Nicky I am so sorry to hear of the struggles you have had this week. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends family.

Nancy

Sarah said...

I'm so sad to hear of his passing :( Praying for the family and for Avery and that he can get better soon! So soryr that he bcame so ill through all this.

And yes, Maggie too is forever in my heart. It's been so tough lately.

The M's said...

Sending many thoughts and prayers....for all!! So much loss and pain. Praying for peace for all, and that Master Avery gets better soon.

Total Pageviews