Sorry for the lack of updates but it has been a really rough few days. Unfortunately, Avery had not made any progress with the bipap. The team termed it "failing extubation". We were basically chasing our tails and it caught up to us. Avery has been fighting the bipap since Wed. requiring meds that should knock out 2 horses but had no effect on him. He respirations were on average in the 80b/p, heartrate up to 210 and high blood pressures and constantly crying. It was unbearable to sit by and watch him constantly doing this with no relief in sight. By this morning I told the team that what we are doing in not working and we need a new plan. Avery decided the new plan needed to take place immediately after rounds which required him to be reintubated. His poor body was so exhausted and he was so angry about having the bipap (which is a full face mask and equivalent to sticking your head out the window of a car going 60m/h). Add to the fact that he cannot hear or see well with the mask just completely put him over the edge. I am actually relieved to see him breathing better b/c I don't know how long I could continue to see him working like that. He also now has pneumonia which also complicates things now. Thankfully he started antibiotics yesterday so hopefully they can get a handle on it soon.
Rick and I have literally been through the ringer in the past 2 wks. We now have to start making decisions that we did not want to have to make. Also we have to prepare ourselves for the hospital life for god knows how long. We are going to sit down with Janessa this weekend and make a schedule on the days mom and day will be in the hospital. She is going to visit Avery tomorrow and we have officially decorated his room with family pictures. I don't know how we are going to juggle work, kids, and Avery's recovery but we will get through it. I guess just one day at a time!!!!!!!!!
4 comments:
Nicky,
You are right, you guys have been throught the ringer the last few weeks. You have not left my thoughts and prayers. I am glad that Avery is atleast resting comfortably again. I will pray the pneumonia is controlled quickly.
Nicky,
Please let me know if I can help out with Isaiah or Janessa. Avery's been on my mind all day. You've made some excellent decisions. Extra prayers are being said. I'm pleased he's resting and hope the antibiotics kick in quickly. God bless.
I'm so sorry you're all having such a tough time. We're thinking of you, and are close by. If you ever need anything, please call. I'd be happy to come by and read to Avery or something, if you think he'd be able to hear, and would like it. Praying for you all, and hoping things get better for him soon. God Bless, Alison xoxoxo
You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment