No news this time isn't such good news. Avery is inpatient of course :( In the 6 weeks he was home he was feeling and doing great aside from daily retching and vomiting the past two weeks. This is not usual for him but we couldn't figure out why his stomach was bothering him so much. I was hoping his j tube was the culprit so we had it changed last Tues but it was in place and not the problem. Of course it wasn't gonna be that easy!!!!
On Friday he started with a croupy cough which is a sure sign that a hospitalization is pending. The fever followed immediately but as usual I was hoping with all our home interventions, we could ride it out at home. Silly me....By sat. morning he spiked a higher temp so off to the resort we headed. He actually looked great aside from the fever that morning and I was sure it would be a quick 48hr rule out for his line. I just have not learned my lesson bc this stay is turning out to be a far cry from a quick & easy stay.
By Sunday morning the *hit it the fan. Avery became increasingly respiratory, febrile with his lower platelets, fluid overload and a gut that stopped working. Oh boy!!!! I decided to take a nice walk bc the weather was so beautiful and I just needed to get out of there for a bit. Well my honeymoon was short lived bc I got a call from the resident about Avery's belly Xrays. Not good. Actually I'm still confused about it but I knew it was very serious bc the Attending (who is pretty laid back) told me he was very worried about Avery. Basically he has (pneumatosis) an area of his bowel that is surrounded with air. This is very dangerous bc if it gets worse it can perforate the bowel and it would be an emergent surgery. This is something you would typically see in neonates. So not very common in older kids. Avery has so many other issues along with this that makes for a grueling admission. He is getting belly x-rays & blood work often to make sure it's not getting worse. He is also very respiratory right now which adds another piece. Seems like this has been caused by either a virus or a bacterial infection. They have no answers yet but he is on a couple of IV abx and needs total gut rest for at least two weeks. All of his meds have been converted to IV form which means he has to stay inpatient bc many of these cannot be given at home (such as Valium & methadone). So he's gonna be here for awhile :( I'm just praying that he won't end up needing emergent surgery.
It's alot to digest huh? My boy is a tough cookie and he seems to be trending in the right direction, just hoping & praying it continues.
2 comments:
Sending my prayers!
Wow! Will pray for Avery, your family & the hospital team to get him thru this!
Love,
Elaine
Post a Comment